For malayalam "anudina thiruvachana dhyaanangal" please see the blog down left side.....

Thursday 21 August 2014

Jesus said to them, “Many are invited, but few are chosen.” (Mt 22:14)

Jesus said to them, “Many are invited, but few are chosen.” (Mt 22:14)

Meditation:     “Many are invited, but few are chosen.” I don’t know how many times I have gone through it to get the meaning of this sentence. Why? because whenever I read this passage, there comes also to my mind few other verses too; like (1) but the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not look on his appearance or on the height of his stature, because I have rejected him; for the Lord does not see as mortals see; they look on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart” (1Sam 16:7), (2) “Before I formed in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I appointed you a prophet to the nations” (Jer 1:5), and (3) “Then he went up a hill and called to himself the men he wanted. They came to him, and he chose twelve, whom he named apostles” (Mk 3:13), (4) “I protected them, and not one of them was lost, except the man who was bound to be lost – so that the scripture might come true” (Jn 17:12), (5) “Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me.” (Rev 3:20)  All these sentences surely tell us that the ultimate choice is from God, but we have to take also the meaning of the last two verses also. You are invited but your selection depends upon your consent. All are invited, but few are chosen. God is in need of your consent for your redemption. Then why is this invitation?  St. Augustine says, ‘He who created us without our help will not save us without our consent.’ Invitation is not a guarantee of your selection, rather an expression of God’s mercy and compassionate love. You are accountable for your life. How can you enjoy the marriage feast without consenting to wear the free wedding dress that you get at the gate?
            
Prayer:                       Lord Jesus, we thank you and praise you for your daily eternal bread. Amen! Lord, even when you were so merciful to me to invite to your heavenly meal I was not ready to accept it gratefully. What you needed from me was only a heartfelt repentance before receiving you, but even that I could not do that. Like Judas, therefore, what I received was my own condemnation. Forgive me, O Lord! Amen.
       

Greetings:       Take courage God is with you! Have a nice and blissful Thursday…   

No comments:

Post a Comment