For malayalam "anudina thiruvachana dhyaanangal" please see the blog down left side.....

Tuesday 28 April 2015

“My sheep listens to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.” (Jn 10:27)

“My sheep listens to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.” (Jn 10:27)

Today’s Passages: Jn 10:22-30; Act 11:19-26
Meditation: Today’s meditation verse is quite interesting and meaningful. Jesus the good shepherd is so confident to pronounce, “My sheep listens to my voice; I know them, they follow me. I give them eternal life and they shall never die. No one can snatch them away from me.” (Jn 10:27-28) “My sheep listens to my voice… they follow me.” How can he say like this? Contemporary experiences, however, urge us not to believe this; be it in the family or in the society. 

Where does this coolness of Jesus come from? I do believe that this is from his unique, eternal, and salvific love for the sheep. Jesus says, “I am the good shepherd, who is willing to die for his sheep.” (Jn 10:11) This love is indeed exemplary for he himself elsewhere says, “The greatest love a person can have for his friends is to give his life for them.” (Jn 10:13) Even today, therefore, two thousand years since his sacrificial death on the cross for the whole humankind, thousands of thousands flock unto him and believe in him. Yes, they listen to his voice and follow him.

This naturally urges me to rethink of my commitment to my duties and entrusted ones. Usually we ask the questions like: why do the people disregard our voice? Or why do they rush to keep away from us? Or why are we so much anxious and afraid of others snatching our dear ones away from us? These questions are right to be sure, however, our selfless love and dedication to our ministries as in the life of good shepherd too matter.

Is it not true, then, that I am working for my family and children, day and night? Is it not true that I am working extra time to afford the burdens of my dear ones? Is it not true that I am taking extra classes to my intellectually poor students? May be true, no one denies them. However, there are instances where people dedicate themselves for their own sake; for the sake of their name and fame. There the other becomes only a means to accomplish their selfish ambitions.

Eventually, children run away from their families, spouses get separated, and employer-employee relationship is broken. Indeed, no one is sure now a days that the other will listen to him or follow him. Here stands in a unique manner our good shepherd Jesus at our side, like friend, to lay down his life for me. This is not for him but for me, for me only. Let me listen to him gratefully to his divine, “I have come in order that you might have life – life in all its fullness.” (Jn 10:10)

Prayer: Lord God, we thank you and praise you for your daily eternal bread. Like St. Peter we too confess that you only have the words of eternal life. Give us your Holy Spirit to listen to your word at moment of your life and have eternal life. Together with the Psalmist I too pray and proclaim, “The Lord is my shepherd; I have everything I need.” (Ps 23:1) We ask for this grace through Christ our Lord. Amen!


Greetings: God is with you! Wish you a blessed and fruitful Easter Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment