For malayalam "anudina thiruvachana dhyaanangal" please see the blog down left side.....

Wednesday 17 December 2014

“The book of the genealogy of Jesus Christ, the Son of David, the son of Abraham.” (Mt 1:1)

“The book of the genealogy of Jesus Christ, the Son of David, the son of Abraham.” (Mt 1:1)


Today’s Passage: Mt 1:1-17
Meditation: As we are coming closer to the Christmas, what is the special significance of today’s meditation verse? Does this verse actually prepare us for a fruitful Christmas? In youth days, whenever I heard or read this passage, I felt a little bit boring; why all this meaningless repetitions of names! At home after our family prayer, we had everyday bible reading of selected passages. Each time I get this passage, I was interested to read more than anyone because I liked to read it in special rhythm and tone. I didn’t really get into its meaning, rather enjoyed the reading.

However, later I got one aspect of this genealogy description. I want to share you about it in today’s reflection. Why did Mathew go after all these people? Were they so important people that they are to be remembered? When I went through the Bible, I understood some of them are not there, some of them are very simple and ordinary people, still some were not up to the mark, and very few could be listed. Then my thinking was in the direction as to, why was he so particular about including these insignificant ones?

Actually mother Mary led me in this direction through her ‘magnificat’ (Lk 1:46:55). She praised God in ‘magnificat’ saying, “He has helped Israel his servant, remembering his mercy, according to his promise to our fathers, to Abraham and to his descendants forever.” (Lk 1:54, 55) When Mary received the world of the Lord in her heart and womb, she gratefully remembered both God’s promise and his people.

This aspect somehow struck in my mind so deeply, therefore, now I read this genealogy with gratefulness in my heart. I give thanks to the Lord for their instrumentality. I do also in my life, be it my birthday or others, I give thanks to the Lord for all those people, who directly or indirectly were sharers in my life. Let this immediate preparation days of Christmas be days of thanksgiving; kindly remembering God’s ways of showering his mercy and grace upon us through our ancestors, family members, neighbors, friends, relatives, etc
.
Prayer: Lord God, we thank you and praise you for your daily eternal bread. How great and grateful it is to remember all your forefathers in this advent! Lord we thank you and praise you for all those people who were instruments of your protection, love, and mercy in our life. Help us to lead always a life of gratitude. We ask this through Christ our Lord. Amen!


 Greetings: God is with you! Have a nice and blissful Wednesday…

No comments:

Post a Comment