For malayalam "anudina thiruvachana dhyaanangal" please see the blog down left side.....

Saturday 10 January 2015

“He must become more important while I become less important.” (Jn 3:30)

“He must become more important while I become less important.” (Jn 3:30) 

Today’s Passages: Jn 3:22-30; 1Jn 5:14-21
Meditation: What does today’s meditation verse speak to us? The context is John the Baptist’s conversation with his disciples. They are concerned with the growing number of people who go after Jesus than their master John the Baptist. However, John, a self realized man, is not anxious about it for he knows well who Jesus is. He reminds them also that he had already told them that he himself was not the Messiah, but precursor of Jesus, the Messiah. Moreover, he hints that he is happy to hear such news.

Now let us turn to what John tells us today, “He must become more important while I become less important.” (Jn 3:30) How does it take place? Is it on the subjective level or objective level? Can we make Jesus the Messiah greater through our efforts; words, deeds, or thoughts? Objectively, of course we cannot! It is the same with our praise and glory which do not make any change as to his glory; nothing more, nothing less.

However, subjectively, there is a big yes! Here I am finding more space to my God than to myself in my life. Whenever I praise, give thanks to, and adore God, I am dethroning myself and enthroning God. Then he becomes in my heart and life greater than anyone else and anything else. Now no more am I concerned with my pleasures, conveniences, and projects, rather concerned with his plan for me. John is now thinking of the fulfillment of God’s will in and through him; i.e., preparing the way for the Messiah and is happy with that.

In order to get into it, in the second reading John says, “My children keep yourselves safe from false gods.” (1Jn 5:21) If the false gods are dwelling in you, you cannot have space for Jesus, the Messiah. False need not be gentile gods: it can be anything or anyone you serve more than God; you love more than God; you trust more than; and you follow more than God and so on. That is the meaning of the cost Jesus’ discipleship too.

Jesus today reminds you and me, “Whoever comes to me cannot be my disciple unless he loves me more than he loves his father and his mother, his wife and his children, his brothers and his sisters, and himself as well.” (Lk 14:26) This is otherwise elsewhere given in the bible, “You shall love the Lord, your God, with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength.” (Dt 6:5)
         

Prayer: Lord God, we thank you and praise you for your daily eternal bread. I understand, O God, in my daily you are not often given prominent place: we have enough time for everything except for you; enough space for everything except for you; enough friends except you. Even then I feel that I am your disciple. Have mercy on my shallowness and emptiness. O Holy Spirit, come upon us and enlighten our minds and thoughts. We ask this through Christ our Lord. Amen!  

Greetings: God is with you! Have a blissful Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment